QPR: CPR for Suicide Prevention
Question the person about suicide Persuade the person to get help Refer them for help.
Suicide Prevention Gatekeepers - A gatekeeper is someone trained to recognize a suicide crisis and, because of their training, know how and where to find help.
Why QPR for Suicide Prevention Gatekeepers? QPR gatekeeper training takes just one hour and is taught in a format that is clear, concise, and applicable for a wide variety of audiences. Gatekeepers are given information that is easy to understand, and reinforced by a QPR booklet and card complete with warning signs, methods to encourage a person to get help and a list of resources available in your community.
Who Teaches QPR Gatekeepers? QPR was created and developed by Paul Quinnett, Ph.D. of Spokane, Washington. Dr. Quinnett began a QPR Instructor Certification Program to allow qualified candidates to teach QPR and increase the number of people trained to act in a bold, positive manner to prevent a suicide and save a life.
Ask a Question, Save a Life How QPR Differs from Other Suicide Prevention Programs
- QPR recognizes that even socially isolated individuals usually have some sort of contact within their community (e.g. family, doctors, teachers, employer, banker, counselor, etc.)
- QPR teaches diverse groups within each community how to recognize the "real crises" of suicide and the symptoms that accompany it.
- QPR addresses high-risk people within their own environments (verses requiring the individual to initiate requests for support or treatment on their own).
- QPR offers the increased possibility of intervention early in the depressive and/or suicidal crisis (when the level of suicide may be less).
- QPR encourages the gatekeeper to take the individual directly to a treatment provider and/or community resource.
- QPR stresses active follow-up on each intervention that occurs.
The individual trained in QPR often plays a preexisting role in the at-risk person's life. This increases the sense of continuity, support likelihood of a positive resolution.
For More Information or to Schedule QPR Training
Community for Hope of Greater Oshkosh